Annual Student Learning Outcomes Reporting
Here you will find overview information, reporting deadlines, and resources related to the annual student learning outcomes reporting process.
If you have feedback for this page, or do not see something you need, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Carolina’s success in achieving its overall mission and strategic priorities largely depends on the quality of its academic programs and administrative support services. All academic and administrative units on campus participate in identifying their intended outcomes, developing a plan of measuring, and assessing the achievement of those outcomes, and then using the results to plan for needed improvements. Please review the UNC Standard Operating Procedures for Assessment for additional information on the Annual Reporting Process.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters, educational specialist, and doctorate degrees. Degree-granting institutions also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels. Questions about the accreditation of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
- Maintaining accreditation is a federal requirement.
- For students to receive federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education for postsecondary study, the institution must be accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
- Accreditation’s quality assurance function is one of the three main elements of oversight governing the Higher Education Act’s federal student aid programs.
- Student learning must be assessed each year to meet the accreditor’s quality assurance requirements.
UNC-Chapel Hill’s Reaffirmation Report is due to SACSCOC in Fall 2026.
- Assessment plans and reports go out to external reviewers.
- Most recent plans and reports for 2022-2023, 2023-2024, and 2024-2025 will be reviewed.
- If you are responsible for creating and submitting your unit’s assessment report, please refer to your school’s leadership for specific due dates and how plans and reports should be submitted.
In response to new expectations of the University’s accreditor, SACSCOC, a new annual Student Learning Outcomes Report template was introduced in July 2022. The new form can be downloaded here.
These changes are relatively small and are simply designed to elicit additional details on:
- How the assessments were carried out
- The results of the assessments
- Strengths and weaknesses observed in the assessment results that might inform improvements to the program
To assist academic departments in creating your reporting forms, please use this set of instructions updated to reflect current SACSCOC requirements. This document includes instructions for completing student learning outcome reports and examples of rubrics, undergraduate reports, and graduate reports.
Policies related to the Student Learning Outcomes Assessment in Academic Programs can be found on the UNC Office of Ethics and Policy website located here.